At the beginning of each year I make predictions on what the year may bring. Below you’ll see the predictions I made at the beginning of the 2013 followed by an explanation of how I did with each.
1) At least part of the ACA or “Obamacare” is repealed in 2013. I really should get a “pass” on this one. Although the ACA wasn’t repealed its roll out has been shaky and significant portions have been delayed.
2) The State of Missouri chooses to participate in the Medicaid expansion. Nope, I was way off base. I honestly thought good will and reason would trump partisan politics.
3) The Dow hits 14,000. And then some, the Dow hit record highs and got really close to 16,000!
4) GVMH delivers a record number of babies (full disclosure: I made this same prediction last year and I’ve determined that I was a year too early). Missed this one but hey I did my part, our son was delivered at GVMH on July 31, 2013. The US birth rate is down so GVMH is experiencing a part of national trend.
5) Planning and infrastructure for high-speed rail system spanning the United States gets underway. Boy, this was a stretch. I’m not sure where that prediction came from but my crystal ball must have been cracked.
6) GVMH will be a health care recipient of The Missouri Quality Award. I nailed this one. GVMH was the 2013 winner of the Missouri Quality Award. Great award, great distinction for great staff, physicians and volunteers.
7) New processes in the ED cause significant improvement in patient satisfaction scores ranking the ED in the top 25% nationwide. Another home run prediction. We’ve experienced significant improvement in patient satisfaction in the ED. Debbie Stark and her staff are doing all the right things to improve care and service.
8) GVMH receives one national honor. I’m on a roll! GVMH was a recipient of the Most Improved HCAHPS Award from the Studer Organization. I need to predict more awards next year. Maybe I’ll predict myself as the winner of the Power Ball.
9) The Kansas City Chiefs will end the season at 8 and 8 or better. Ding, ding, ding! I did it again. The Chiefs made a dramatic turnaround and if it weren’t for the Denver Bronco’s they’d have the best record in the NFL this season.
10) The Royals will make the playoffs. I just missed this one. The Royals were in the hunt until the last week of the season and if it weren’t for a mediocre May they would have been a lock. This was the most interesting baseball season I can remember. It’s amazing what baseball is like when your team has something to play for in August.
11) The GVMH Foundation will launch a capital campaign. Not yet but Deanna Hendrich is doing great things with the Foundation and the Evening to Remember this past November was the best yet.
12) Kyle Adkins will shave his goatee (OK, this is a stretch but I really wanted to get to 13 predictions because these are predictions for 2013). It’s still there but it is a little more grey!
13) 2013 will present with triumphs and sorrows. There will be good days and bad. There will be moments of hopelessness and reminders of hope. The one certainty, and one guaranteed prediction is that 2013 will be unlike any other year and 2014 will happen. 2014 is about to happen and soon I’ll post predictions for 2014.