As each year comes to a close I make predictions for the upcoming year. Here’s a look back at my predictions for 2012. As you will see I didn’t have a crystal ball but my average is better than professional baseball players. Below I list the predictions for 2012 and respond in bold about what actually happened.
1) The big news in 2012 will be the election. That’s no prediction but I do predict that President Obama will be re-elected and in the end the election won’t be close. I was right on here. Romney made a late push but it was too little, too late.
2) The Dow will hit 13,500 and the stock market will enter a period of moderate, but sustained, growth. On October 5, 2012 the Dow hit 13,610 which was a 5 year high and it has hovered between 13,000 and 13,400 through the last quarter.
3) The City of Clinton will have at least one business open that adds 50 or more jobs to the local workforce. I made this prediction in 2011 and it didn’t happen but I’m confident in our economic development activities. I was partially right on this prediction. No new business opened but Tracker Boats did add 50 jobs.
4) The Supreme Court will rule that the individual mandate associated with health care reform is constitutional and the opposition to health care reform will be silenced. I was right and wrong. The individual mandate was determined to be constitutional as a tax but people can opt out by paying a penalty which is actually less than the cost of health insurance so it ended up not having the intended effect.
5) GVMH will deliver a record number of babies in 2012. Not a record year but we’re not alone. Births in the US are down so we are part of a national trend.
6) GVMH will add at least one new service offering to our customers. Do hospitalists count? If so, I’m on. If not, I’m off. Oh wait, we do now offer Rheumatology Services -ding, ding, ding- give the man a prize!
7) GVMH will be recognized as having customer service scores in the top quartile based on national comparison. Because our fiscal year runs through March 31 I can’t answer yet because the data isn’t in. I do believe we will see at least one of our scores between inpatient, outpatient and ED in the top quartile. How about this, our home health agency was recognized as one of the top 500 agencies out of 30,000 or the top 1%.
8) Last year I successfully predicted that GVMH would recruit an Orthopedic Surgeon. This year I am predicting that GVMH will successfully recruit an Internal Medicine Physician. Missed this one…
9) Following a brutal summer in 2011, the summer of 2012 will only have 2 days in which the heat index exceeds 100 degrees. Man it was hot this past summer and DRY. Strike.
10) Congress and the President agree on a balanced budget act that raises taxes and limits spending while eliminating the deficit over a 10 year period. What was I thinking, Congress and the President agree – way off. As I type this we are teetering on the edge of the “fiscal cliff”.
11) The Kansas City Chiefs return to the playoffs. Another bad prediction, the Chiefs are the WORST team in the NFL and the only playoff hunt their in is the battle for the number one overall draft pick!
12) The Kansas City Royals keep the season interesting but miss the playoffs by a couple of games. The Royals are improving but they were nowhere near the playoffs.
13) It will snow at least four inches prior to Christmas Day 2012. Nope.
14) Home prices will rebound and new home construction will resume. I got this one. New home starts are up and property values are rising.
15) At least two new businesses will open on the downtown Clinton square. Yes and Yes.
And finally, two BOLD predictions:
1) Apple will release a new “gadget” that puts the iPhone to shame and it will be marketed as Steve Jobs final vision. I guess Steve’s final vision is still in R&D.
2) In their first year in the SEC, the Missouri Tiger’s Football team will play in the SEC title game. MIZZOU did not even qualify for a bowl game. Too many injuries and improved competition. It’s hard to win when you don’t start the same offensive line and same quarterback two games in a row.
I’m working on predictions for 2013, with all the current uncertainty in the world my averages may go down…