We reviewed my predictions for 2011 and I was hit and miss. I’ll take a stab at 2012 and make a few predictions that have local, regional and national implications. Just as last year we will re-visit these predictions at the end of the year and see how cloudy my crystal ball was!
1) The big news in 2012 will be the election. That’s no prediction but I do predict that President Obama will be re-elected and in the end the election won’t be close.
2) The Dow will hit 13,500 and the stock market will enter a period of moderate, but sustained, growth.
3) The City of Clinton will have at least one business open that adds 50 or more jobs to the local workforce. I made this prediction in 2011 and it didn’t happen but I’m confident in our economic development activities.
4) The Supreme Court will rule that the individual mandate associated with health care reform is constitutional and the opposition to health care reform will be silenced.
5) GVMH will deliver a record number of babies in 2012.
6) GVMH will add at least one new service offering to our customers.
7) GVMH will be recognized as having customer service scores in the top quartile based on national comparison.
8) Last year I successfully predicted that GVMH would recruit an Orthopedic Surgeon. This year I am predicting that GVMH will successfully recruit an Internal Medicine Physician.
9) Following a brutal summer in 2011, the summer of 2012 will only have 2 days in which the heat index exceeds 100 degrees.
10) Congress and the President agree on a balanced budget act that raises taxes and limits spending while eliminating the deficit over a 10 year period.
11) The Kansas City Chiefs return to the playoffs.
12) The Kansas City Royals keep the season interesting but miss the playoffs by a couple of games.
13) It will snow at least four inches prior to Christmas Day 2012.
14) Home prices will rebound and new home construction will resume.
15) At least two new businesses will open on the downtown Clinton square.
And finally, two BOLD predictions:
1) Apple will release a new “gadget” that puts the iPhone to shame and it will be marketed as Steve Jobs final vision.
2) In their first year in the SEC, the Missouri Tiger’s Football team will play in the SEC title game.